Marieke Gouda is made in Thorp, Wisconsin with milk from the Penterman’s family farm. Both Rolf and Marieke Penterman have a background in small-scale dairy farming in the eastern part of the Netherlands. However, since availability of agricultural land is limited in the Netherlands, they moved to Wisconsin in 2002 to establish their dairy farm and cheesemaking operation.
In 2004, Marieke Penterman began working towards getting her Wisconsin cheesemaker’s license and also traveled back to the Netherlands in order to learn the process of making “boerenkaas,” the authentic farmstead Dutch Gouda cheese.
Milk for cheese production comes from the Penterman’s own herd of rBGH free Holstein and Brown Swiss cows, making it a true farmstead operation. Milk is piped directly into the processing vat in the cheesemaking room within five hours of the cows being milked.
Marieke produces 25 different varieties of Gouda. The original Gouda is sold at various ages, from as young as two months to up to three years. Premium Marieke Gouda is aged for 12-18 months, during which time it is expertly cared for and develops a slightly crunchy texture and a balanced flavor with notes of hay, roasted nuts and butterscotch.
Other varieties include Italian Herb, Onion/Garlic, Smoked, and the Pentermans’ award winning Foenegreek. Seasonal cheeses include Black Pepper Mix, Cumin, Black Mustard, Summer Fields, Burning Melange, Mustard Melange, and Hatch Pepper.
We replaced onions with mushrooms to create this umami bomb of a soup featuring melty Marieke Gouda toast points. The rich and nutty flavor of Premium 12-18 month Marieke Gouda adds a touch of indulgence to this update on the classic French onion soup. Scroll down to get the recipe.
Mushroom Soup with Melty Marieke Gouda Toasts
- 1 lb large king trumpet mushrooms shredded using a fork
- 1/2 lb maitake mushrooms broken into large pieces
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- 4 TBSP butter
- 5 oz wedge Premium 12-18 months Marieke Gouda shredded
- 4 slices French style bread
- Parsley chopped
- Melt the butter in a medium dutch oven. Add in all of the prepped mushrooms (it’s okay to crowd them). Stir occasionally until the mushrooms are soft and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and simmer for 10 minutes, Season to taste.
- Ladle the finished soup into individual oven safe crocks for serving. Top each with a slice of bread and a large sprinkling of shredded gouda. Use a chef’s torch to melt the gouda OR turn the oven on to broil and place the crocks on a sheet pan – then broil for 3-4 minutes watching closely). Top with parsley and enjoy!