Peppercorn Soft-Ripened Cheese Ice Cream
Zesty St. Mang Bavarian Made Soft-ripened Cheese with Mild Green Peppercorns adds exotic flavor to a summertime favorite. The cheese creates a smooth and rich texture while the peppercorns add a soft bite reminiscent of chocolate chips. You will need an ice cream making machine for this recipe.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 6 ounces St. Mang Bavarian Made Soft-Ripened Cheese with Mild Green Peppercorns
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 6 sugar cones
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Warm cream and milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add sugar and salt and cook, stirring, until mixture is hot and steaming (do not let it boil).
- Once cream is steaming, reduce heat to low. Add a tablespoon of the warm cream mixture to the beaten egg yolks and stir constantly to temper the yolks; you do not want the heat of the cream to curdle the eggs. Continue to add a tablespoon of the cream mixture at a time until the yolks are warm.
- Pour egg mixture into the saucepan of cream. Cook over low heat, stirring, until custard thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve and into a large bowl.
- Add cheese and stir until melted and incorporated. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours.
- Process mixture in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Beat egg white and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Paint the mixture on the top rim of the cones with a pastry brush. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Set cones upside down on a baking sheet and bake until salt has set, about 5 minutes. Cool before serving.
When beating egg yolks for ice cream, use a metal bowl to better gauge the temperature of the egg mixture.