Smoked Gouda Apricot Melt
Nothing goes together better than cheese and apricots! This melt perfectly blends the nuttiness of smoked cheese with just the right amount of sweetness to keep you coming back for more.
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced, slivered, or chopped almonds
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 8 slices of your favorite hearty bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan or a microwave-safe mixing cup, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Place the apricots in a small bowl and add enough boiling water to cover them. Let sit for 5 minutes and then drain away the water. Stir in the almonds and green onions.
- Spread four of the bread slices with half of the butter on one side and all the apricot preserves on the other. Top with the apricot-almond mixture, shredded gouda, and pepper. Top with the remaining slices of bread and spread butter on the top.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches in skillet, going in batches if needed. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melty. Serve hot.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/