Three-Onion Braised Chicken with Mustard-Mascarpone Sauce
Be sure to use fresh pearl onions—frozen ones will break down and disrupt the decadent sauce.
- 1 3-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small leeks, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces white pearl onions, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large egg yolks
- Place chicken pieces in a single layer on a large platter and season with salt and pepper.
- Rest at room temperature for 15 minutes to allow skin to dry.
- Heat oven to 250°F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, skin side down. Cook
- for 5 minutes, or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
- In same skillet, sauté yellow onion, leeks, pearl onions, and garlic over medium heat until
- Add flour, reduce heat to low, and stir until mixture is light brown, about 2
- Add white wine and broth. Stir to ensure all clumps of flour are broken up. Return
- chicken to pan and add bay leaf and thyme. Cook for 30 minutes, or until chicken
- reaches 155°F. (The chicken will continue to cook and reach
- the desired temperature of 165°F as the sauce cooks.)
- Remove chicken from pan, wrap in foil, and place in oven to keep warm.
- Bring remaining mixture in skillet to a boil over medium
- heat. Meanwhile, whisk together mascarpone, mustard, and egg yolks.
- Remove skillet from heat and slowly pour egg mixture into skillet, whisking constantly
- to avoid scrambling eggs.
- Remove chicken from oven and arrange on a large platter.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/