Turkey Burgers with Muenster and Caramelized Onions
Sweet caramelized onions pair nicely with mild muenster in this turkey burger. Melted butter lends some additional fat to lean ground turkey.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, sliced into half-moons
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 slices muenster cheese
- Burger buns, for serving
- Sliced lettuce, for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Sliced tomato, for serving
- ►Add olive oil and sliced onions to a medium skillet set over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt over onions and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ►Pour in vegetable stock and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low. Cook onions for another 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- ►Add ground turkey, egg, salt, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, and melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Mix to combine with your hands or a wooden spoon.
- ►Shape turkey mixture into 4 1-inch-thick patties. Transfer patties to a small baking sheet or dinner plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes or up to overnight.
- ►Grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet and heat over medium- high for 5 minutes.
- ►Add turkey patties to skillet and cook on one side for 5 minutes. Flip patties, top each with 2 slices of muenster, and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes.
- ►Serve turkey burgers on your preferred burger bun. Garnish with lettuce, avocado, tomato, and caramelized onions.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/