Watercress Salad with Figs and Manchego
Delicately sweet, fresh figs shine in this salad. With its slightly gritty texture and rich mouthfeel, shaved Manchego is an ideal foil for both the figs and the bittersweet greens.
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bunch watercress ends trimmed
- 1 bunch frisée white and light green parts only, torn
- 1 small bulb fennel quartered, cored, and thinly shaved
- 8 fresh figs halved
- ⅓ cup Marcona almonds
- 1 ounce Manchego thinly shaved
- ►SHERRY VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustards, lemon juice, and shallot. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- ►SALAD: Toss watercress, frisée, fennel, figs, and almonds together with just enough sherry vinaigrette to lightly coat. Top with Manchego and serve.