We’re always on the lookout for the hottest new food items, and what better way to show them off than on your next cheese board? Here are five items we are obsessed with right now— from mushroom chips to spicy apricots, this list will get your creative juices flowing!
1. Popadelics Mushroom Chips don’t contain psilocybin, but the crunchy fried mushrooms are sure to take your taste buds on a psychedelic journey. Made from shiitake mushrooms using a special vacuum frying process, Popadelics are a low-oil, crispy snack unlike any other chip on the market. Available in three far- out flavors—Trippin’ Truffle Parm, Rad Rosemary, and Twisted Thai Chili—they have a mild mushroom flavor that tastes more like a meaty corn nut. Popadelics are an engaging statement piece on a cheese board; just be sure to pair them with milder cheese like cheddar or chèvre so the flavors don’t compete.
2. While living in Baja, Mexico, chefs Jeff and Susan Mall fell in love with Mexican chocolate. The couple founded Volo Chocolate in 2016 to bring those flavors back home to Sonoma County, California, where they pair traditional chocolate making with their culinary expertise to create unique flavor combinations. A prime example is the 62% Dark Milk Chocolate with Figs and Hazelnut bar, in which single- origin Haitian cacao is blended with hazelnut butter, roasted hazelnuts, and dried figs to create an ultra- creamy chocolate bar reminiscent of Nutella. It pairs perfectly with a mild and sweet blue cheese like Bay Blue from Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company.
3. Cult Crackers Crunchy Cassava Crackers are gluten- and grain-free nut and seed crackers hand-baked in small batches in Berkeley, California. Made with six seeds— flax, hemp, chia, sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin—these crackers pack a serious nutritional punch and offer a distinctive crunch to a cheese plate. While they pair nicely with just about any kind of cheese, we think they are an exceptional partner for CAVA’s spicy whipped Crazy Feta Dip or a salty and creamy blue cheese such as Chiriboga Blue.
4. Once you try CHUZA Spicy Apricots, it’s a good bet they’ll become your next sweet-and-spicy snack obsession. These dried apricots are spiced with a signature chili powder blend to create the perfect balance of fruity and fiery flavors. We suggest pairing these hot little gems with a buttery washed-rind cheese such as Golden Gate from Marin French Cheese Company, which harmonizes with the sweet heat of the apricots.
5. Venice Beach Beverage Original Ginger and Turmeric Vitamin Tea is packed with 5,000mg of organic cold-pressed ginger juice to deliver the taste of freshly pressed ginger without the hassle of juicing it yourself. This bright, flavorful, and refreshing tea can be served alongside a cheese plate on a hot summer day or used as a delicious digestive aid if you’ve overindulged. Creator Michele Freeman recommends pairing it with a gentle blue cheese, balancing the tea’s sweetness with the cheese’s saltiness.