The holidays always see a flurry of cheese board tutorials, wine and cheese pairings, and cheesy desserts—all last-minute attempts to impress your extended family when they descend upon your house (there’s a cheese platter tip-sheet below to give you a head start!). Take a break from decorating and grab a cup of coffee while you catch up on the cheese news.
Here’s what you might have missed this week:
- In queso you missed the big announcement last week, Whole Food’s 12 Days of Cheese has begun. Stop by for a 50% discount on a different cheese every day.
- Stew Leonard’s is gunning for the Guinness World Record for the largest cheese sculpture with their 4,000 pound cheddar block.
- Following two years of negotiations, the EU and Japan signed an economic agreement that will generate a marketplace containing almost one-third of the global economy. Described as “Japanese cars for European cheese,” this is a deal we can get behind.
- Already tired of Christmas cookies? Then whip up a batch of these sharp cheddar pimento crackers.
- If you’re in Maine and you read this in time, the Midcoast Cheese Trail operates from 11-3 today. With holiday hikes, goat’s milk hot chocolate, and other fun events, there’s no better way to spend a Sunday.
- More evidence suggests that eating cheese is linked to a longer life expectancy. We’re not turning our noses up at that!
- Kale salad, green smoothies, fermented veggies…when you’re sick of healthy options, here’s the best comfort food spots in New York.
- As promised, here’s a list of cheeses to include when building a perfect holiday cheese plate.
- Austin-based Antonelli’s Cheese Shop broke many hearts after it announced a closure of one of its signature locations to refocus on their flagship store.