Virginie Dubois-Dhorne wasn’t the first woman to win Gold at Mondial du Fromage, but she was the first French woman to claim the title of Best Cheesemonger in the World. In cheese-obsessed France, this is a very big deal, especially since Virginie had planned on a career in academia, not in the world of cheese. Read more in our exclusive story by Paola Westbeek here.
- Ina Garten is “OMG back in Paris after 2 1/2 years in a rabbit hole” and gushing on Insta about her “favorite cheese shop in the world,”, Barthélemy. Her four photos of the gorgeous cheeses on display at the shop Bon Appetit calls a “master’s degree in French cheese” are enough to make any turophile start planning a trip fo the City of Light.
- Vermont Creamery has released its latest flavor of goat cheese log—Strawberry Spritz—available exclusively at Murray’s. With strawberries and honey added to fresh goat cheese, the newest log is at home on a cheese board, used in place of cream cheese, or in summertime baked goods.
- Welsh cheese company Snowdonia has introduced Truffle Trove, a white wax-coated, extra-mature cheddar with Italian black-summer truffles.
- The winners of the 2022 sofi Awards were announced this week. The winners for cheese are: Cow’s Milk: Gold: Artikaas Parèggio: Dutch Cheese Makers Corp.; New Product: Stracciatella Panna Di Latte Retail, Lioni Latticini Mozzarella Company. Non Cow’s Milk: Gold: SALCIS MonnaLisa Foglie di Noce, imported by Rogers Collection; New Product: Laura Chenel Everything Bagel Fresh Goat Cheese. Read more here.
- Plant-based Miyoko’s Creamery wants to help dairy farms trade cows for crops with its Dairy Farm Transition Program. The program won the corporate social responsibility category of Fast Company’s 2022 World Changing Ideas Awards, and the Miyoko team has already reached out to dairy farmers in Maine, Wisconsin, New York, and California.
- The Green Day Press Gazette’s “What the Wisconsin?” series has the answer to the burning question: How and why did cheese curds become such a big deal in America’s Dairyland? Much of it can be explained by the fact that 100 years ago, selling curds fresh from the vat was a quick source of cash for the state’s creameries. But there’s more, of course; read it here.
- In partnership with Cleveland Clinic, Parade has released a list of The 10 Healthiest Cheeses, According to Registered Dietitians. While our bloomy rind faves didn’t make the list, the piece offers lots of good news for cheese lovers, including “scientific studies have shown that there is no significant health difference in diets that do or do not include cheese.” Read more here.
- Violife has launched new plant-based cheeses in Europe that emulate famed cheeses of France and Italy. Le Rond is a brie-like vegan cheese and Prosociano is a plant-based version of parmesan.