October is officially here, with all its traditional spooky fun. What better way to celebrate the season than with the unofficial cheese of Halloween: Mimolette? This vibrant orange wheel is one of France’s most recognizable cheeses, produced with annatto to achieve that iconic tangerine hue. Read all about the history, production process, and tasting notes of Mimolette here.
In other cheese news:
- A new monument celebrating Swiss immigrant cheesemakers will soon be erected in Ohio, often recognized as the leading state in Swiss cheesemaking, to commemorate the historic work of those early trailblazers.
- Tillamook County Creamery Association is continuing its year-old tradition of raising money to support America’s farmers. This year, the brand has created the All For Farmers Coalition alliance, where partners will join the TCCA in raising funds for grants that will support farmers across the country.
- Montchevre released a video titled “The Goat Life,” where the brand provided a look at the people, animals, and ethics behind every log of the iconic chèvre. Watch it here.
- With the arrival of fall comes all its wonderful, limited-edition products—like Boursin’s latest release, Caramelized Onion & Herbs, which combines sweet and savory flavors in a rich, cheesy wheel that’s perfect for entertaining.
- Cultured Cheese Shop in Louisville, Kentucky—a shop that celebrates local farmstead cheeses and serves charcuterie boards and drinks— is celebrating one year in business after opening in the midst of the pandemic. Read more about their success story here.
- Beehive Cheese’s Ginger Turmeric cheddar is back for a limited time! This special edition cheese is made by rubbing Promontory with ginger turmeric tea for a blast of flavor that just screams fall. Get some now before it’s gone.
- Specialty Food Magazine is investigating the toll that the COVID-19 pandemic has taken on artisan cheese around the globe. Read more about how the industry has been impacted and how it’s slowly bouncing back here.
- Jeni’s Ice Cream dropped six brand new fall flavors for you to dig into at your next bonfire. (Think everything from Pumpkin Cake Roll to Boston Cream Pie.)
- Speaking of ice cream, Ben & Jerry’s also added a new flavor to their line-up: Change Is Brewing, a cold brew ice cream with marshmallow swirls and fudge brownie. The pint is a collaboration with The Movement for Black Lives and aims to take action for Black liberation and safety. Learn more here.
- Marissa Mullen (AKA @thatcheeseplate) took a deep dive into the world of cheddar in her latest Food52 article, analyzing the history, variations, and flavors of this style (with help from the expertise of Anne Saxelby). Read it here.
- A joke come to life: Culver’s Cheese Curd Burger started as an April Fool’s Joke, but has since turned into a real menu item. And we’re not sad about it.
- In record-breaking cheese news, three chefs in Lyon, France just broke the Guinness World Record for most varieties of cheese on a pizza (yes, it’s a thing) with—brace yourself—834 different styles, a 230% increase from the last record. See the cheesy result here.