It’s Labor Day weekend and we’re savoring every last bite of summer. If you’re planning on firing up the grill for some cheesy beef and veggie burgers this weekend, we’ve got suggestions for which curds to keep on hand to satisfy all your guests’ preferences: from classic to gooey to full of funk.
In other cheese news:
- Shepherds Purse, an artisan maker in the UK, is once again under fire for the name of its cheese, Yorkshire Fettle—renamed in 2008 after Greek feta was awarded PDO status. The association claims that “Fettle” still breaches protection rules; Shepherds Purse plans to to once again change the name of the cheese by the end of the year.
- It’s been a tough tropical storm season across the country. After facing damaging destruction from storm flooding, Golden Age Cheese in Woodhull, New York is curating The Comeback Pack, a monthly subscription club that will help rebuild the retail factory outlet store, and raise money to folks nearby who experienced similar damage.
- General Mills is branching out into the “animal-free” category with Renegade Creamery, which will produce cheese products by using dairy proteins made via microbial fermentation (in other words, without cows). General Mills describes the products as having the same “delicious taste and texture of dairy cheese” but being “animal-free to reduce greenhouse gases.”
- The World Dairy Expo Championship judging days took place last week in Middleton, Wisconsin. There were several cheeses, milks, butters, and ice creams that were crowned by expert judges, including Crave Brothers’ chocolate mascarpone, Karoun Dairies’ Goat Feta, Sartori’s Classic Asiago, and more. See the full list of winners here.
- Have you tried the latest from Murray’s Cheese Caves? The limited-edition Everything Bagel is made by punching a hole in Selles-Sur-Cher chèvre and coating it in a blend of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, garlic, onion, and sea salt.
- Jay-Z and Chris Paul have invested $3 million in vegan cheese-alternative brand Misha’s Kind Foods. “We are here to serve the large community of cheese lovers, plant-based and not,” Misha’s co-founder Aaron Bullock told Veg News. “I’m confident having these investors at the table will be vital to the future growth of the company.”
- Time to up your honey game: Runamok Maple just released a line of raw, hot, and infused honey in flavors like Hibiscus Flower and Chipotle Morita for drizzling on your next cheese board.
- The Mac and Cheese ice cream that divided the internet is making a comeback. Kraft announced that the savory ice cream produced in collaboration with Van Leewen is back in stock on the website for purchase now. If you had FOMO about missing the last launch, get your $12 pint (yes, really) now before it’s gone.