Burrata French Toast with Balsamic Syrup
For best results, use day-old bread for this sweet-and-savory French toast. If you can’t find any, dry out fresh slices in a 300°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. The balsamic syrup can also be made ahead—store it at room temperature for up to five days.
- Balsamic Syrup:
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- French Toast:
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 8 ½- inch-thick slices crusty bread
- 1 8- ounce ball burrata cheese drained and quartered
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- Fresh blackberries to garnish
- BALSAMIC SYRUP: Combine vinegar and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick and syrupy, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- FRENCH TOAST: Whisk together eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Add milk and whisk to combine.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, soak 2 slices of bread in egg mixture, turning to coat. Add soaked bread to skillet and cook until bottom is browned, about 3 minutes. Flip bread and continue to cook until browned on second side, about 3 minutes longer. Keep French toast warm while repeating with remaining butter, bread, and egg mixture.
- Place 2 slices of French toast on each plate and top with 1 piece of burrata. Drizzle with balsamic syrup, dust with powdered sugar, and top with fresh blackberries. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
Photography by Jennifer Silverberg
2 thoughts on “Burrata French Toast with Balsamic Syrup”
I really want to try so many of these recipes! How come I cannot print them? Hitting the print button is pointless. I think I deserve to since I have a subscription!
Hi Susan! Thank you for letting us know that you’re having troubles here. We just tested the function, and it’s working properly on our end. Do you have any pop-up blockers on? If you’re still having troubles, feel free to email us at email@example.com.