In what seems like the blink of an eye, the summer months have passed and we’re creeping into comfort food season. And what better way to welcome the cooler temps than with National Potato Month? Incredibly versatile and easy to pair, potatoes are practically a no-brainer with cheese. Celebrate this month by treating your family to a plate of these Asiago and Sausage Potato Skins, or check out our Great 28 spotlight on pairing cheese with spuds of all forms.
In other cheese news:
- After being physically impacted by the protests in Madison, cheese shop Fromagination released a statement doubling down on their support for the movement against racism, saying “Our windows and merchandise will never be more important than human lives.” To help repair damages and support the movement, they recently launched a curated box that donates $10 to a charity of each customer’s choice.
- The Cheese Culture Coalition—an initiative promoting racial equity and inclusion within the industry—is now accepting donations to help fund the future of cheese. All proceeds will help launch their cheese education programs, which will provide opportunities to BIPOC and underrepresented communities looking to advance their careers in the cheese industry.
- The California Artisan Cheese Guild is hosting a virtual fundraiser on September 18th to help benefit the organization. The tasting will feature cheeses from the beloved Cowgirl Creamery, Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co., and Nicasio Valley Cheese Company (plus renowned local vinos to accompany your spread). Reserve your spot ASAP to ensure your cheeses will deliver on time.
- Time for a virtual shopping trip! Savencia Cheese USA recently launched CheeseLoverShop.com, a one-stop-shop for Savencia’s award-winning cheeses —including Rogue Creamery, and Dorothy’s Cheese—plus e-commerce partner Beehive Cheese.
- Cheese Grotto is now offering private virtual cheesemaking classes and tasting sessions. Perfect for family gatherings, corporate events, or weekend hangouts, these sessions will allow attendees to intimately learn about the wonder of cheese from the comfort (and safety!) of their homes.
- The Dairy Farmers of America made earth-friendly history when they announced their goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30% by 2030—a first for U.S. dairy cooperatives. “We’re proud to set this science-based target, which will help us further reduce our carbon footprint and do our part in taking care of our planet.” senior VP David Darr told Dairy Business.
- Another excuse to stock up on small-business goodies: The 2020 Sofi Award winners have been announced! Check out what specialty cheeses, drinks, and foods have been crowned this year here.