Apple Poptarts with Caramel-Crème Fraîche Ice Cream and Aged Gouda
Although it’s a finishing element, the aged gouda in this recipe is the star. The creamy, rich ice cream helps bring out its caramel flavors, while the tart apples draw out its nutty, sharp qualities.
- 2 cups granulated sugar, plus more for egg yolks
- 3½ cups heavy cream, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1½ cups crème fraîche
- 8 cups diced apples (about 8 to 10 medium apples; try Ginger Gold or Fuji), divided
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- ½ vanilla bean pod, sliced lengthwise and scraped
- ½ cup granulated sugar, plus more to taste if needed
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 17.5-ounce package frozen prepared puff pastry, defrosted
- 10 ounces aged gouda cheese (try Beemster Classic)
- ►ICE CREAM: Cook sugar over medium heat in a heavy, high-sided saucepan, stirring often, for 10 to 15 minutes, until large bubbles form and mixture is light amber. Slowly stir in 2½ cups heavy cream (careful: caramel will steam and spit when cream is added). Set aside and cool mixture to room temperature.
- ►Warm milk and remaining heavy cream over medium heat in a medium heavy-bottom saucepan until mixture simmers. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks with a pinch of sugar and salt in a large bowl until creamy. Pour warm milk mixture over egg yolks in a slow stream while whisking constantly to temper. Return mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a rubber spatula. Remove mixture from heat and stir in crème fraîche. Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath.
- ►Pour mixture into a large bowl inside prepared ice bath, stirring to cool to room temperature. When cool, combine mixture with caramel in a large bowl and season to taste with salt. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight. Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. If not using immediately, store in a covered container in the freezer for up to 5 days.
- ►POPTARTS: Combine 6 cups diced apples, cinnamon stick, ginger, vanilla pod, vanilla seeds, and sugar in a large, heavy-bottom pan and cook over medium heat until apples are softened, about 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and additional sugar to taste. Remove vanilla bean pod and stir in remaining diced apples. Remove mixture from heat and cool to room temperature. Add lemon juice and zest and set aside.
- ►Roll out one sheet of pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 10-inch-by-15-inch rectangle. Cut into 10 3-inch-by-5-inch rectangles. Repeat with remaining sheet. Place about 2 tablespoons of apple filling in the center of 10 rectangles, then cover each with another rectangle. Crimp edges with a fork and trim if necessary.
- ►Chill poptarts in refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour. Heat oven to 375°F. Bake poptarts until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- ►Shave gouda cheese over warm poptarts with a vegetable peeler and garnish with a small scoop of ice cream. Serve immediately.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/