Hank’s BBQ’d Oysters “Hog Island Style”
These buttery broiled oysters prove once and for all that seafood and cheese should never be kept apart.
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- ½ cup chopped garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 small bottles Tabasco sauce
- 1 ½ pounds unsalted butter
- Fresh parsley chopped
- 12-24 Freshly shucked oysters
- Parmesan for grating
- Reduce white wine with shallots, garlic, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the Tabasco and bring to boil. Whisk ⅓ of the butter at a time, whisking until completely combined. Finish with parsley.
- Cool the sauce down in ice bath promptly. Stir it once in a while as it cools. Sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance.
- Heat a broiler to high. Place 1 tablespoon of the sauce on top of each of the freshly shucked oysters and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan. Place under the broiler until golden. Serve hot.
Adapted from Hank's Oyster Bar