BelGioioso CreamyGorg Spinach Salad
The combination of crispy bacon and creamy blue cheese is a classic. This recipe brings together those two favorite flavors and turns them into a hearty salad with sweet Vidalia onion, rich pumpernickel croutons, and tender baby spinach.
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1-1/2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 large green onion (finely chopped)
- 3/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into cross-wise slices
- 6 ounces pumpernickel bread slices, cut into pieces for croutons
- 12 ounces whole peeled Vidalia onions, cut into 1/4-inch thick round slices
- 12 ounces baby spinach salad greens
- 6 ounces BelGioioso CreamyGorg cheese, cut into thin slices
- Buttermilk-Herb Dressing: Combine buttermilk with yogurt; blend until smooth. Stir in vinegar, green onion), anchovy paste, parsley, and tarragon. Season dressing with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Salad: Cook bacon slices in skillet over low heat until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels; reserve bacon grease. Set aside at room temperature. Sauté pumpernickel bread pieces in skillet with small amount of bacon grease until crisp. Drain croutons on paper towels; set aside. Grill onion slices until browned on each side and softened slightly. Separate into rings and set aside.
- For each salad, toss 2 ounces baby spinach leaves with 1/2 ounce dressing and plate. Add 1 ounce grilled onion rings; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon bacon. Add 1 ounce croutons to salad and top with 1 ounce BelGioioso CreamyGorg. Drizzle salad with an additional 1/2 ounce dressing before serving.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/