BLC Sandwich on Olive Bread
In this BLT variation, crispy bacon, lettuce, and melted cheddar are layered with sweet red pepper and a little honey. Olive bread is particularly good with these savory players, but any rustic loaf will do.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 slices (¾-inch thick) olive bread or other rustic bread
- 1½ ounces sharp cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1 long piece (about 2 ounces) roasted red pepper
- 2 leaves Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked until crisp
- In a small ramekin, combine butter and honey; set aside. Lightly toast bread slices. Remove one slice from toaster and reserve; on the other, add a layer of cheese. Toast or broil briefly, until cheese begins to melt.
- Spread the honey butter on the reserved slice of bread, then top with red pepper and half the lettuce. Cut bacon to fit sandwich, and arrange on lettuce. Top bacon with remaining lettuce, then cover with the cheese-covered slice of bread. Press down to secure the filling while cutting sandwich in half. To serve in quarters, use toothpicks to secure each wedge.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/