Blue Cheese–Stuffed Dates
These stuffed dates are a decadent trail snack or fireside appetizer with a glass of wine in hand, but save them for day trips when the weather cool or overnights when you can stash them in a cooler or lunchbox. The dates can be eaten as-is, but they are also excellent served warm.
- 16 Medjool dates
- 3 ounces creamy blue cheese (try Roquefort PDO), room temperature
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- ►Slice lengthwise down each date and remove pit. Discard pits and set aside prepared dates.
- ►Mix together blue cheese and hazelnuts in a bowl. Carefully scoop a small amount (about ½ teaspoon) of the blue cheese mixture into each date, then fully stuff the cheese into the date so the cut seam closes around the cheese. (It’s OK if it doesn’t close all the way.)
- ►Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you leave for your trip, then keep in a cooler. To eat these dates warm, heat a frying pan or pot over medium heat. Place dates in pan and warm for just a few minutes, carefully turning so they don’t burn.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/
Styled by Catrine Kelty.