Braised Escarole Flatbread with Crème Fraîche, Honey, and Eggs
Hearty greens, tangy cheese, sweet honey, and silky eggs combine to make a decadent topping for chewy naan bread.
- 2 heads escarole, leaves separated and washed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- 4 naan flatbreads
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- Honey, for drizzling
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Chop escarole into 2-inch pieces. Place a wide, shallow pan over medium heat. When hot, add oil. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add escarole, and season with salt and pepper. Once escarole begins to wilt, cover pan and cook 8 minutes or until escarole is just tender. Discard garlic.
- Divide crème fraîche evenly atop the 4 flatbreads and spread to coat. Top crème fraîche-slathered flatbreads with escarole and feta. Bake 10 minutes or until feta softens.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter until just bubbling. Crack eggs into skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Fry to desired doneness.
- Top each baked flatbread with one egg and finish with a thin drizzle of honey. Serve immediately.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/