Butternut Squash with Pistachio and Pecorino
Chef Jonny Schwass serves this side dish at room temperature, but you can also warm the squash before it gets a final dressing of nuts and cheese.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons high-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
- ¼ cup shaved Blue River Pecorino (or aged artisan pecorino such as Pecorino Foglie Noce)
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Place the squash whole on a baking sheet, and roast for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a fork slides in and out of the squash easily. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Discard the skin and seeds of the squash, and cut into bite-size pieces. Place the squash in a bowl. Drizzle with about half the vinegar and olive oil, and season generously with salt. Toss gently to incorporate all the ingredients. Arrange the dressed squash on a serving dish, and top with the remaining vinegar and oil and the pistachios and pecorino. (Alternately, the squash can be cut in half, as pictured, and topped with remaining ingredients.)
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/