Cheese Tart with Spring Vegetable Crudité
Flaky pastry and velvety cheese sauce provide a welcoming bed for the tender, colorful vegetables of spring. You’ll need 8 4¾-inch mini tart pans for this recipe.
- FOR TARTS:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cubed unsalted butter, frozen (2 sticks)
- ⅓ cup ice water
- FOR CHEESE SAUCE:
- 4 new potatoes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 small clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 14 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 1¼ cups cubed Taleggio, rind removed (about 7 ounces)
- ½ cup crumbled parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- TO SERVE:
- 2 cups assorted thinly sliced spring vegetables (try asparagus, radishes, and carrots)
- Olive oil, to taste
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor and blend. Pulse in frozen butter until butter is in pea-size pieces and distributed throughout flour. Stream in water until dough forms (you may not need all the water). Remove dough and press into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough to a ¼-inch-thick rectangle and cut into 4 equal squares. Line mini tart pans with dough. Refrigerate dough-lined pans for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F.
- Line dough with parchment paper and weigh down with uncooked rice, beans, or pie weights. Bake for about 20 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Remove weights and parchment and bake for 10 more minutes, until shells are golden brown.
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- While tart shells are baking, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until very soft, about 10 minutes. Pass through a mesh strainer, then measure out ½ cup of potato puree (reserve remainder for another use).
- Bring wine to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, then add garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add potato puree and stir for 30 seconds. Add 5 tablespoons cream and bring to a simmer, stirring as it thickens slightly. Remove from heat and stir in Taleggio and parmesan.
- Combine half the cheese mixture and half the remaining cream in a blender and process until completely smooth. With machine running, slowly add remaining cheese mixture and cream, alternating each ingredient. Return cheese mixture to pan, season with salt as needed, and keep warm over low heat until ready to serve.
- TO SERVE:
- Fill tart shells with warm cheese sauce and cool to room temperature. Garnish with vegetables to create a mosaic. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/