Red Flannel Fritters with Horseradish Crème Fraîche
Spicy, tangy crème fraîche is the ideal foil for these savory little fritters, a meatless version of New England red flannel hash, which is traditionally made with corned beef. The ruby red beets give the dish its name.
- 2 medium beets scrubbed and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 large potatoes scrubbed and rinsed
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 heaping tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice divided
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ⅓ to ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- 2 teaspoons grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Put beets in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and shake dish to coat. Fill dish with ¼ inch of water and cover with aluminum foil.
- Wrap potatoes in foil and bake both potatoes (directly on oven rack) and beets for 50 to 60 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork or paring knife. Remove from oven, discard foil, and set aside to cool.
- Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When warm, add onion and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a medium bowl. Wipe out skillet.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel and finely dice. Add to bowl with onions.
- Scoop potatoes from their skins and add flesh to bowl. Stir to combine. Add parsley, mustard, and cheese and stir to combine.
- Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg, then add breadcrumbs, a few tablespoons at a time, until mixture holds together.
- Form into 6 3-inch disks and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 20 minutes (can be made up to 2 days before serving).
- Heat oven to 250°F.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook fritters for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until crisp and browned. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and keep warm in oven until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl, stir together crème fraîche, horseradish, remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- Serve fritters warm with a dollop of crème fraîche and a sprinkle of chopped dill.