This classic palate refresher is showered with shards of fruity aged cheese. A chilled platter keeps things nice and cold and helps the crisp vegetables retain their texture.
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 ounces shaved parmesan (try Piave Vecchio)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 2 endives, outer leaves removed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves
- Chill a medium-size platter for at least 20 minutes.
- Toss fennel in a small bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, pinch of salt, and squeeze of lemon juice. Scatter in an even layer on chilled platter, followed by some shaved cheese and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Arrange grapefruit pieces over fennel and drizzle more olive oil over the top, followed by another scattering of cheese and black pepper. Toss endive and tarragon leaves in the same bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, pinch of salt, and squeeze of lemon juice, and layer over top of salad.
- Finish with remaining cheese, a final drizzle of olive oil, and salt and black pepper to taste.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/