Chopped Arugula Salad with Chicken, Capers, Aged Gouda, & Grilled Lemons
Bright, tangy flavors rule this fresh salad, from grilled lemons to the tiny, briny caper. Grated aged gouda lends a crumbly richness to these sharp flavors, though a pecorino or Parmigiano Reggiano would work well in its place. For added crunch, try serving a small portion of this salad on a piece of grilled bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Oil for grill grates
- 4 chicken cutlets (approximately 3 ounces each), about ¼-inch thick
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
- 4 cups arugula, chopped
- 3 ounces 3- to 4-year-aged gouda, coarsely grated (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- LEMON-DIJON VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set dressing aside. Dressing can be stored, refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 2 weeks.
- SALAD: Heat grill (or grill pan) to medium-high. Lightly oil grill grates. Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken until charred and cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Grill lemon halves, cut side down, until charred, 2 minutes. Set chicken and lemons on a cutting board to rest and cool, 5 minutes. Slice chicken into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, gouda, capers, and chicken. Drizzle with dressing, and toss to coat. Serve lemon halves alongside.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/