Cranberry Pear Tart
This cranberry tart with an almond and crème fraîche filling balances the brightness of cranberries with sweet pears and a buttery crust. Top this eye-catching tart with an dollop of sweetened crème fraiche for a dessert that's perfect for parties.
- FOR TART SHELL:
- 1 ⅓ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces Vermont Creamery cultured butter unsalted, cold and cut into tablespoon sized pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1–2 tablespoons ice water
- FOR TART FILLING:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup almond paste
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Vermont Creamery crème fraiche
- 2 ounches Vermont Creamery cultured butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 Anjou pears, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a blender, add flour, sugar and salt. Pulse to combine. Add cold butter and blend until butter is incorporated and mixture is pea-sized balls. Do not over mix.
- In a small bowl, mix egg yolk and water, add to blender and pulse to combine until dough comes together.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, patting into a disk. Roll dough until just larger than the shape of pan and gently lift to fit pan. Press dough into flutes of pan and trim edges with a sharp knife.
- Using tines of a fork, pierce the bottom of the tart shell liberally to prevent air bubbles from forming.
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the sugar, almond paste, eggs until combined.
- Add in the crème fraiche, butter, orange zest and flour mixture until blended.
- Pour into the tart shell and spread evenly. Layer the pears and cranberries across the top of the crème fraiche mixture and bake for 40 minutes.
- Tip: Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche sweetened with a little powdered sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla or whiskey.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/