Early Spring Fruit Salad with Ginger-Spiced Yogurt
In early spring we tend to crave fresh foods, like leafy greens, crisp vegetables, and juicy fruits. But with morning temperatures still on the cool side a fruit salad can sometimes seem out of place on the breakfast table. To balance a love of fresh fruit salad with a need for something warm and hearty, we’ve added ginger-spiced sugar syrup to creamy Greek-style yogurt for a spicy and warm morning pick-me-up.
FOR THE GINGER SYRUP
- 1 3-inch piece (1½ ounces) fresh ginger
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
FOR THE FRUIT SALAD
- 2 kiwis
- 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 tangelo
- 2 tablespoons ginger syrup
- ½ cup Greek-style yogurt
- FOR THE GINGER SYRUP: Peel the thin skin off of the ginger using the curved edge of a spoon. Slice the ginger into small coins.
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and add the sliced ginger and cook for about 20 minutes, until it is translucent. Remove from the syrup with a slotted spoon and allow to dry on a wire rack for at least 12 hours. You can save this candied ginger to eat as a snack or use as a garnish for the fruit salad.
- Measure the ginger syrup. If it is more than 2 tablespoons, return to the saucepan and continue simmering until it has reduced. Set aside to cool.
- FOR THE FRUIT SALAD: Slice the kiwis into ¼-inch thick rounds. Supreme the grapefruit and the tangelo.
- Combine the ginger syrup and the yogurt.
- Place the fruit into four bowls. Drizzle ginger syrup over each bowl and garnish with candied ginger. Serve immediately.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/