Endive Salad with Pear & Blue Cheese
Rich Collins of California Endive Farms in Northern California shares his favorite endive salad recipe. It's easy to prepare and perfect at any time of year—including alongside your Thanksgiving turkey.
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1 ripe D’anjou or Bartlett pear
- 3 heads each red and green endives
- ¼ cup chopped roasted walnuts
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a bowl, whisk together vinegar, salt, and mustard. Slowly add oil, whisking until fully combined. Add parsley. Season to taste with ground pepper.
- Cut pear into quarters. Remove core, and slice quarters into ½-inch pieces. Add to dressing, and gently mix.
- Trim ¼ inch from the bottom of the endive heads, and remove the whole leaves. Repeat as necessary to remove interior leaves. Discard small center core section. Place leaves, walnuts, and blue cheese in a salad bowl along with pear-dressing mix. Toss, and serve.