Grilled Romaine Salad with Corn and Avocado
A few minutes on the grill will transform the lettuce into a soft, smoky bed for sweet corn and lush avocado.
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove peeled and finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds toasted and ground
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 2 ears of corn husks and silk removed
- 1 avocado
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce halved lengthwise
- Extra-virgin olive oil for grilling
- ¼ cup shaved Sartori Cheese SarVecchio Parmesan use a vegetable peeeler
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large jar with a lid. Cover and shake until well combined. Remove cover, add oils, cover again, and shake vigorously until well combined.
- Light a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. When hot, add corn and cook on all sides until some kernels have started to blacken, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove corn from the grill to cool. Cut kernels off the cob and place in a medium bowl.
- Halve and pit avocado, then scoop flesh from the peel and dice. Add diced avocado, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of dressing to the bowl with the corn, stirring gently to combine. Set aside.
- Drizzle the cut side of both romaine halves with about 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill romaine, cut side down, for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip, and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cut off root ends, and place cut side up on a serving platter or bowl.
- Drizzle romaine with about ¼ cup of the dressing and top with corn-avocado mixture and shaved SarVecchio. Drizzle with additional dressing and serve (you’ll have leftover dressing).
Photographed by Brian Samuels