Recipe by Cassy Vires, Photography by Jennifer Silverberg
Bayonne Ham, Apricot, and White Cheddar Sandwich
This isn’t your average ham and cheese sandwich. This version is piled high with Bayonne ham, white cheddar, and apricot-onion jam. With a mix of savory and sweet, this sandwich is a lunchtime treat.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs of oregano
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 1 1- pound baguette
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces Bayonne ham thinly sliced
- 4 ounces baby greens
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar thinly sliced
- Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil in large skillet over medium heat; add onion and oregano sprigs. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized.
- Add the apricot preserves and continue to cook until jam has melted and completely mixed with onions. Remove herb stems and set the mixture aside.
- Split the baguette lengthwise. Brush both cut sides of the baguette with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the onion jam mixture on the bottom half then layer the slices of Bayonne ham. Top with the baby greens and sliced white cheddar. Place the other slice of bread on top and cut into four pieces and serve immediately.