Open-Face Beef & Blue Cheese Sandwich with Crispy Onion Topping
This hearty sandwich is built atop toasted bread with a generous smear of horseradish-infused mayonnaise and layers of beef, blue cheese, and sweet peppers; crispy onions add the crowning touch. All the parts may be easily assembled, then held in a warm oven while the onions are cooked à la minute. Serve this sandwich with a knife and fork.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 kaiser roll
- ½ pound thin-sliced roast beef
- 4 slices (each ¼-inch thick) blue cheese (such as Firefly Farms Black and Blue)
- 7/8 cup (half a 14-ounce jar) roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
CRISPY ONION TOPPING
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- SANDWICH: In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, horseradish, and salt; set aside. Cut roll in half horizontally, and toast both halves. Place cut side up on baking sheet, and spread mayonnaise mixture on each half.
- Mound roast beef equally on each piece of bread. Top with slices of blue cheese, then roasted red peppers. Place sandwiches in cool oven. Set heat to 175°F to gently warm while preparing onion.
- CRISPY ONION TOPPING: In 8-inch skillet, heat ½ inch of vegetable oil to 350°F. Beat egg and milk together in a small bowl; combine flour, salt, and pepper in another small bowl. Working with a handful of onion slices at a time, dip in egg mixture and let excess drip off. Then dredge in flour mixture, and lightly toss to coat. Cook coated onion slices in hot oil until golden brown, turning once - 2 to 3 minutes. Remove onion slices with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel; place on a heatproof plate or baking sheet and transfer to warm oven. Repeat coating and frying of remaining onion slices.
- To serve, remove warmed sandwiches from oven and place on plates. Sprinkle each sandwich with parsley, and top generously with Crispy Onion Topping.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/