Pan-Fried Oysters with Cornmeal and Parmesan
The first time I had oysters, when I was very young, my mother pan-fried them. I can still taste them now. Then, when I owned a restaurant, we served a dish called Oysters Pan-Fried with Blue Cornmeal and Sun-dried Tomato Salsa. This recipe is a combination of both versions.
- ¾ cup blue cornmeal
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (such as Sartori Heirloom Parmesan)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 5-ounce can oysters, drained
- Fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- 1 heaping teaspoon flavored mayonnaise per oyster
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and cheese. Set aside. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg, milk, and cayenne pepper together.
- In a large frying pan on medium, heat butter and oil until bubbling.
- One oyster at a time, coat with the egg mixture, then dredge in cornmeal mixture. Fry for 30 - 40 seconds per side.
- Place cooked oysters on paper towels to drain, then arrange on serving platter. Garnish with parsley or basil and lemon wedges and serve with your favorite flavored mayonnaise such as garlic, chive, or sun-dried tomato.
- For more recipes, grab a copy of Tin Fish Gourmet: Gourmet Seafood from Cupboard to Table by Barbara-jo McIntosh (Arsenal Pulp Press, 2014).
Adapted from Tin Fish Gourmet: Gourmet Seafood from Cupboard to Table
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/