Savory Parmesan French Toast with Bayonne Ham and Eggs
French toast isn’t always sweet. This savory variation combines the classic flavors of parmesan and ham for a delicious meal served any time of day.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, plus extra as garnish
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 1” thick slices sourdough bread
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 3 ounces sliced Bayonne ham, torn into bite size pieces
- In a large skillet over low heat, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and butter; cook until melted.
- Meanwhile, whisk together milk, eggs, and Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture. Don’t let the slices soak too long.
- Increase skillet heat to medium-high and add the bread slices and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, toss the arugula, remaining olive oil, and ham together and season with salt and pepper. When the bread is toasted, place on a plate and top with the salad. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, and, for extra pizzazz, top with a sunny-side up egg.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/