Recipe by Cassy Vires, Photography by Jennifer Silverberg
Savory Parmesan French Toast with Bayonne Ham and Eggs
French toast isn’t always sweet. This savory variation combines the classic flavors of parmesan and ham for a delicious meal served any time of day.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan plus extra as garnish
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 1 ” thick slices sourdough bread
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 3 ounces sliced Bayonne ham torn into bite size pieces
- In a large skillet over low heat, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and butter; cook until melted.
- Meanwhile, whisk together milk, eggs, and Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Dip the bread slices in the egg mixture. Don’t let the slices soak too long.
- Increase skillet heat to medium-high and add the bread slices and cook until browned on both sides. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, toss the arugula, remaining olive oil, and ham together and season with salt and pepper. When the bread is toasted, place on a plate and top with the salad. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, and, for extra pizzazz, top with a sunny-side up egg.