Photographed by Francine Zaslow.
Pear and Cheddar Pancakes with Cumin
Pancakes are a popular camp breakfast food, but who says they can only be a sweet affair? This recipe plays with the sweet-savory balance, bringing in the spike of a sharp cheddar and pairing it with the natural sweetness of pears and the warmth of cumin seeds.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 to 1¼ cups water
- 1 small pear finely chopped
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar grated
- Olive oil for frying
- Maple syrup or honey to garnish
- Chopped walnuts to garnish
- ►Mix together flours, baking powder, salt, and cumin seeds and store in a resealable bag or airtight container.
- ►Place flour mixture in a bowl, add 1 cup water, and stir. Add pear and cheese and stir. Add more water as necessary to achieve a pancake batter consistency.
- ►Heat oil in a frying pan set over medium heat. When hot, add about ¼ cup batter. Fry until the sides have set and you start to see bubbles in the middle, then turn and fry for an additional minute or two. The cheese may melt out the sides.
- ►Serve immediately drizzled with maple syrup or honey and topped with chopped walnuts.
Styled by Catrine Kelty.