Photographed by Erin Harris.
Quark Parfaits with Chocolate Meringue Cookies and Raspberry Sauce
Tangy, creamy homemade quark is paired with rich, dark chocolate in this not-too-sweet dessert. Mix it up by swapping out the raspberries for strawberries or cherries.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups fresh raspberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 12 chocolate meringue cookies
- 1 1/3 cups homemade quark
- 1 cup fresh raspberry sauce
- Fresh raspberries to garnish
- ►MERINGUE COOKIES: Heat oven to 350°F with a rack positioned in the center. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- ►Sift sugar and cocoa powder together into a large mixing bowl. Add salt and chocolate chips and stir to combine. Add egg whites and vanilla and stir until batter is just moistened and comes together.
- ►Drop teaspoons of batter onto prepared baking sheets. Give plenty of space between each as the cookies will spread when they bake. Bake cookies until the tops are lightly puffed and cracked, about 12 minutes. Cool briefly, then carefully transfer cookies to a cooling rack using an offset spatula. If you allow the cookies to cool on the parchment paper for too long, they will stick. Repeat with remaining batter. Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- ►RASPBERRY SAUCE: Add raspberries, sugar, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon water to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until sauce comes to a boil.
- ►Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, then remove from heat. Allow sauce to cool completely before using. The sauce will thicken further as it cools.
- ►PARFAITS: Place 1 meringue cookie in the bottom of 4 serving dishes and top each with 2 tablespoons of quark. Add 1 tablespoon of raspberry sauce on top, and then repeat two more times. Each dish will have 3 layers in total.
- ►Repeat steps until all 4 portions are complete. Garnish each dish with a few fresh raspberries. Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated for up to 24 hours.