Shredded Potato, Pancetta, and Stinky Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Prepare this casserole the night before and bake in the morning—perfect for entertaining.
- Olive oil, for greasing dish
- 1 pound diced pancetta
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups raw grated potatoes, excess moisture squeezed out (about 2 russet potatoes)
- 1 cup grated raclette cheese, divided
- 4 ounces soft-ripened washed-rind cheese, chopped and divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped chives, to garnish
- ►Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole dish with olive oil and set aside.
- ►Add pancetta to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until rendered and crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove pancetta from skillet with a slotted spoon and pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat. Add shallots and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- ►Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and sour cream. Stir in shallot-garlic mixture, shredded potatoes, half the raclette, and half the soft-ripened cheese. Reserve one quarter of pancetta and add remainder to egg mixture along with the salt and pepper.
- ►Pour egg mixture into baking dish and top with remaining raclette and soft-ripened cheese. Bake 20 minutes, then add remaining pancetta. Bake 20 more minutes, or until eggs are firm and edges are golden brown. Serve warm.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/