Photographed by Jennifer Silverberg
Smoked Cheddar Ice Cream
This unique ice cream goes gangbusters with apple pie, but it’s also delicious drizzled with a rich caramel sauce. You’ll need an immersion blender and an ice cream maker for this recipe.
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ounces smoked cheddar cheese grated
- ►Set up an ice bath by placing a 2-quart bowl inside a larger bowl partially filled with ice and water. Set a strainer over smaller bowl.
- ►Warm half-and-half in a medium saucepan over low heat. Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly pour warm half-and-half into egg mixture while whisking constantly. Scrape mixture back into saucepan. Increase heat to medium-low and cook, whisking frequently, until custard reaches 170°F. (If you don’t have a thermometer, run your finger along the back of a coated spoon—if it leaves a clean line, custard is ready.)
- ►Remove custard from heat and add smoked cheddar. Let sit for 1 minute, then whisk to combine. Use an immersion blender to blend until completely smooth, about 30 seconds.
- ►Pour custard through strainer into bowl set in ice bath. Stir until cool, then cover and refrigerate to chill thoroughly, preferably overnight. Freeze ice cream base in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.