The French Toasted
This creamy sandwich takes a dip in slightly sweet batter before it hits the grill. Finish with a dusting of powdered sugar for an indulgent morning meal.
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone
- 8 ½-inch-thick slices brioche bread
- 4 teaspoons raspberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- Powdered sugar to serve
- Heat oven to 200°F and place a baking sheet on the middle rack. Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and orange zest together in a large bowl.
- Spread ½ tablespoon mascarpone on each slice of bread, and top with ½ teaspoon raspberry preserves. Close sandwiches, keeping fillings on the inside.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Dip 2 sandwiches in the milk mixture and let the excess drip off. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet and swirl the pan to coat the entire surface. Add sandwiches to skillet and cook until golden-brown, 4 to 5 minutes each side. Transfer to the baking sheet in the oven and repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Slice sandwiches on the diagonal, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve with a fork and knife.