Traditional Pie Dough
This recipe makes enough for a double-crust pie; halve it for a single-crust pie.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes and chilled
- 3 tablespoons ice water plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar chilled
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt to combine. Add butter and pulse 10 to 15 times until no pieces of butter larger than a pea remain.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing 2 times between each addition. Add vinegar and pulse until dough comes together and no loose flour remains. (Add up to a tablespoon more water if needed.)
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Gather it into a ball and flatten to a 1-inch-thick disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Let sit at room temperature 5 minutes before rolling.