Watermelon and Tomato Salad with Queso Fresco and Sweet Peppers
Crumbled queso fresco rounds out this salad that pairs sweet, salty, and bright acidic flavors. Omit the country ham for a vegetarian-friendly version.
- SWEET PEPPER VINAIGRETTE: (Yields 1½ cups)
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, deseeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- ½ teaspoon parsley, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1½ cups diced watermelon
- ½ cup sweet pepper vinaigrette
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cut into wedges
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Flaky sea salt
- 3 paper-thin slices of country ham
- ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco
- Fresh chervil for garnish
- ►SWEET PEPPER VINAIGRETTE: In a mixing bowl, stir together the red pepper, lemon juice, Champagne vinegar, parsley, and salt. While whisking, slowly pour in both oils. Transfer to a storage container if not using immediately. Vinaigrette can be stored in the refrigerator for up to seven days.
- ► SALAD: In a large bowl, toss watermelon with 1 tablespoon of sweet pepper vinaigrette. In a separate bowl, lightly season heirloom tomato and cherry tomatoes with the sea salt.
- ►To serve, arrange watermelon on a serving platter and top with tomatoes. Drizzle with remaining sweet pepper vinaigrette. Top with torn slices of country ham, queso fresco crumbles, and chervil leaves.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/