Inspired by the classic Welsh Rarebit, this is a dish that we serve at the Scottish Highland Games here in Switzerland. This is such a simple recipe but the aroma of warm whisky in the bread is mouth watering. It's also a great dish to help when drinking beer!
- Slices of thick toasted white bread
- Small glass of whisky (blended will do fine)
- 1 teaspoon of English mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons of Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce or a similar brand.
- 5mm thick slices of Red Leicester cheese or roughly grated cheese
- Brush the toast liberally with the mustard, whisky & Worcester sauce mix.
- Top with the sliced cheese trying to cover all of the toast.
- Place under a warm grill for 3 or 4 minutes until the cheese is melted and is browning slightly.
- You can make a rich cheese sauce with the mustard and whisky but we found that this is faster and more tasty!
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/