National Ice Cream Month has begun and we’ve never been more excited! Our summer ice cream feature highlights some of the best cheese-based gelatos in the country (think: cheesecake, mascarpone, and goat cheese flavors), where you can get your hands on them, and how to make your own at home. Who said we can’t have cheese for dessert?
In other cheese news:
- The annual Good Food Awards entry period is now open! There are new guidelines this year to accommodate safety during COVID-19, so make sure you read those through before entering your delicious product. Good luck to all the competitors!
- Wisconsin Cheese Community Cheeselandia recently won the Grand Champion Award at the American Marketing Association’s Brandsmart Awards. “We wanted to build an authentic movement to unite real cheese lovers worldwide around their passion for great cheese and the incredible experiences it can create,” said Suzanne Fanning, senior vice president for Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.
- Cooks and authors Janet Fletcher and Laura Werlin are back for more Cheese O’Clock online wine and cheese tastings in July. Make sure to reserve your virtual seats, grab your wedges and vinos, and get ready to learn, pair, and enjoy.
- With milk supplies tightening and cheese demand growing, industry prices continue to rise. “U.S. cheese prices are now the most expensive in the world, and that could negatively impact export business,” analyst Betty Berning warned in Farm Journal’s Milk.
- Some cheese-for-good news: popular UK deli Black’s Corner is teaming up with Neal’s Yard Dairy to help support small-batch cheesemakers in England who have been hit hard by the pandemic. Any purchase through Save British Cheese will directly help local makers. Cheers to industry folks coming together!
- If you’re looking to support local makers on this side of the pond, Victory Cheese is still promoting makers and mongers across the US. Peruse their list of individual boxes that will ship right to your door and choose one (or a few!) that catch your eye.