Last week, we celebrated Bastille Day the only way we know how—with lots of cheese. Even though 2020’s travel restrictions have been keeping us from sampling global meals on international lands, we can still bring some of that magic to our kitchen tables. Our latest web piece will guide you through pairing some of France’s most iconic wines and cheeses, perfect for a belated Bastille Day celebration—or just a regular weeknight.
In other cheese news:
- The 2020 World Cheese Awards, originally set to take place in Spain, have officially been rescheduled. “It saddens me deeply to make this announcement, at a time when artisan cheesemakers could do with a lift,” a Guild of Fine Food representative told Dairy Foods Magazine. “But for obvious reasons it’s just not appropriate to mobilize the cheese world on such a large scale right now.” The new date is set for November 2021.
- Hannaford Supermarkets is committed to using cheese as a force for good. They recently announced that they’ll be purchasing $10,000 worth of Maine-made milk for Pineland Farms Dairy to turn into 7,000 pounds worth of cheese, all to be donated to local folks in need. The partnership will help struggling families and support Maine dairy farmers. An incredible initiative!
- Speaking of Maine-made cheeses: The Maine Cheese Guild has been finding creative ways to support local cheesemakers in the Pinetree State since their 2020 Maine Cheese Festival has been cancelled. Enter Maine Milk Mavens, an initiative that links grocers and restaurants with local makers, and Local Goods Gathered, where consumers can buy directly from local creameries for pick-up and delivery.
- Some BIG cheese news: an Italian community just broke a monstrous world record with a wheel of Pecorino Sardo that weighs 1,319.5 pounds, earning it the title of the largest sheep’s milk cheese ever. (Yes, really.) Watch a video of the giant wheel in all its glory here.
- Our summer giveaway is up and running! This season we partnered with Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese to provide three lucky winners with the perfect summer spread: including an insulated bag, engraved wooden cheese board, and lots of their famous farmstead cheeses. Run, don’t walk, to enter before our August 10th drawing.