Its name translates as “four men,” however women are in charge at Quatrehomme Fromagerie in Paris. The founder’s daughter-in-law, Marie Quatrehomme, broke the cheese world’s glass ceiling when in 2000, she became the first woman to be named a Meilleur Ouvrier de France (MOF). It was the first time that the rigorous, state-sponsored competition, which originated in 1935 to recognize excellence in craftsmanship, had included cheesemongering—making the win even more significant. Today, Marie’s daughter, Nathalie, runs the five Quatrehomme shops. Their story is the focus of BBC.com’s World Table story of changing gender roles in cheesemongering.
- Cockroaches, rodents, and insufficient heat are among the realities of some housing provided for Latino/Latina dairy farm workers in New York State, according to a report by NPR. A large part of the problem is lack of government oversight, and since many of these workers are in the country illegally, they do not want to risk deportation by complaining. Read more here.
- Some truth-in-labeling good news for those of us who keep an eye on such things: Good Planet Foods launched two Plant-Based Snack Packs—one with “smoked gouda-style cubes” and one with cheddar-style cubes” (cheese does not appear anywhere on the label). Country Life Natural Foods has introduced Instant Vegan Cheez Mix, which is a name we can support.
- Sean Wilson, who became a cheesemaker after 20 years on the British soap opera, Coronation Street, has published his second cookbook, Cheddar Gorged.
- Marin French Cheese Co.‘s limited edition Petite Boo is a spooky makeover of Petite Ash, available only in the shop starting Oct. 14. The triple crème brie is naturally dyed orange with annatto to contrast with the black ash rind.
- Crave Brothers Farmstead Cheese has introduced heart-shaped mozzarella in an 8-ounce cup, which will be available year round.
- In honor of National Cheese Curd Day on Oct. 15 Culver’s is bringing back the cult-favorite CurderBurger. The CurderBurger started as an April Fools’ joke on social media, but after an outpouring of interest, Crystal decided to turn curd dreams into reality and bring the crispy, melty, fried curd sandwich to all its locations. It’s only available through Oct. 31, so you better hurry and snag one before they’re all gone!
Cheese Shop News
- The owners of Say Cheese restaurant in West Reading, PA have opened a cheese shop next door.
- Western Massachusetts is getting a third location of Provisions; the new shop in Longmeadow will join outlets in Northampton and Amherst.
- Boston-based fast-casual charcuterie concept Kured will debut its first NYC location in Greenwich Village.
- Missouri’s Green Dirt Farm plans to open a new location in Kansas City in 2023. It will have a cafe, a rooftop event space, and facilities for cheese production and bottling sheep’s milk.
- Happy 4th Anniversary to Sweet Freedom Cheese Shop, Arkansas’ first cut-to-order cheese retailer.
Deadlines and Competitions
- The entry period is now open for the 2023 United States Championship Cheese Contest. Hosted by the Wisconsin Cheesemakers Association, the prestigious contest gives entrants a chance to receive feedback from experts and see how they stack up against their peers. Entries close Jan. 18, 2023. Click here to enter.
- The Northeast Dairy Business Innovation Center (NE-DBIC), kicks off the second round of the Dairy Food Safety and Certification Grant on Oct. 27. Learn more here.
- Is your teen an aspiring fashion designer, entrepreneurial baker or simply crushing it in their own way? Frigo Cheese Heads is giving away $50,000 in prize money to help inspiring tweens take their talents and dreams to the next level. Share a photo or video of your tween nominee to enter the Build a Bright Future contest and they could win up to $10,000 in prize money. Entries close on Dec. 9.