Gorgonzola Garganelli with Toasted Walnut Pesto
Save this for a snowy day when you want a rich and creamy pasta dish that warms the soul. Open a hearty Zinfandel, light a fire, and make sure there’s enough for seconds.
- 1 cup shelled walnuts toasted
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound garganelli pasta
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola Piccante room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Add toasted walnuts to a mortar and pestle or food processor and grind until coarse.
- Add minced garlic and mix until combined.
- Add oil in 3 batches, stirring to combine.
- Fold in parmesan cheese.
- Store in airtight container until needed.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Cook pasta until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reserve one cup of pasta water and strain pasta. Return pasta to the pot, cover, and set aside.
- Simmer heavy cream and nutmeg in a medium saucepan over medium heat until cream is reduced by half.
- Add Gorgonzola and stir until cheese melts and sauce becomes smooth.
- Pour sauce onto pasta and stir to coat.
- To serve, divide pasta into 4 warm bowls and top with a spoonful of walnut pesto. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.