☰ menu

Morozhenoe: Russian Ice Cream

Four scoops of chocolate or coffee ice cream sprinkled with nuts and ground chocolate in a parfait glass on a burlap cloth with some coffee beans on it

Below freezing weather, and it’s snowing? You thinking what I’m thinking? Yup…it’s the perfect time for some ice cream! For our final stop in my Cheese Around the World blog series, we head over to Russia for some morozhenoe. Like what you read here? Be sure to read my previous post about Norwegian Brunost.

Believe it or not, one fact about Russians only slightly less known than their obsession with vodka, is their love of ice cream. Unlike the United States, where when you think of ice cream, you think of hot, summer days, and the annoyingly catchy jingle of the ice cream truck driving around your block, in Russia, people buy ice cream year round! Don’t think this sounds odd? When then, you clearly don’t understand how cold it is during a winter in Russia!! I’ll tell you right now, it’s pretty frickin’ cold. Yet, without fail, you will see long lines of Russians stand in the snow waiting to purchase morozhenoe from the nearest ice cream cart.

The Russian’s love for ice cream stretches back to the days of the Soviet Union, but no one really understands how it got to be so popular. Although there are many Western ice cream companies that have set up shop in Russia in recent years, traditional morozhenoe is still alive and well. Way creamier than Western brands, Russian morozhenoe is made with pure, fresh milk, and a higher ratio of ice to dairy. Because it is so widely available, morozhenoe is very cheap; roughly $0.32 USD a cone!

Personally, I think having an ice cream obsession being a major part of your culture is really awesome. Especially when it leads to sweet marketing campaigns like this!

What makes Russian ice cream special from Russia Beyond The Headlines on Vimeo.

Photo credit: Featured image from Wallpapers HQ

Taylor Pierola

Taylor Pierola is a Berkeley California-based culture intern

36 thoughts on “Morozhenoe: Russian Ice Cream”

1. Avatar Philip says:

Amazing blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or
    go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed ..
    Any suggestions? Bless you!

2. Αt this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming again to
    read additional news.

3. Εxcellent article. I’m going through a few of tһese issues as well..

4. Yes it is true, he does need medical, psychological and perhaps spiritual help.
    I have many people in my life that suffer from similar issues,
    and they all celebrate the Charlie Sheen below. Its meant to be a lighthearted take of Charlies self proclamations.

lace front wigs In 1979, Ross released the album The Boss.
    Her 1980 semi eponymous album diana reached number 2 on the US Billboard albums chart, and spawned the
    number one hit “Upside Down”, and the Top 5 international hit
    “I’m Coming Out”. Ross’ final single with Motown during
    her initial run with the company achieved her sixth and final US number one
    Pop hit, the duet “Endless Love”, composed for the Brooke
    Shields film of the same name, by and performed
    with Commodores front man, Lionel Richie.lace front wigs

lace front wigs (h) Units conducting PT on roads without static road guards will use Troopers
    wearing reflective vests to mark the four
    corners of the formation, and will utilize front and rear hair extensions road guards wearing reflective belts/vests.
    Road guards and other personnel designated by leaders must use flashlights during periods of
    limited visibility. Road guards must be positioned far enough to the front and
    rear of the formation to influence traffic appropriately..lace
    front wigs

clip in extensions “I Want You Back” became one of Bananarama’s highest charting
    hits, peaking at number five on the UK Singles Chart. It also climbed into the top three in Australia and the top ten in New Zealand.

One has the three girls performing a choreographed dance routine before the camera.clip in extensions

U Tip Extensions The electrode used in GTAW is made
    of tungsten or a tungsten alloy, because tungsten has the highest melting temperature among pure metals, at 3,422 (6,
    192 As a result, the electrode is not consumed during welding,
    though some erosion (called burn off) can occur. Electrodes can have either a clean finish or a ground finish clean finish electrodes
    have been chemically cleaned, while ground finish electrodes have been ground to a uniform size and have a polished
    surface, making them optimal for heat conduction. The
    diameter of the electrode can vary between 0.5 and 6.4 millimetres (0.02 and 0.25 and their length can range from 75
    to 610 millimetres (3.0 to 24.0 number of tungsten alloys
    have been standardized by the International Organization for Standardization and the American Welding
    Society in ISO 6848 and AWS A5.12, respectively, for use in GTAW electrodes, and are summarized in the adjacent table..U Tip Extensions

clip in extensions My current pair are the Ecco
    Flash Ankle which are from a couple summers ago. I terrified of them breaking on me, but I probably stick with Eccos when they do.
    I also go barefoot a lot in the summertime, I love feeling the ground underneath me and as long as I not in the sketchiest
    sketch area downtown in my city I go barefoot clip in extensions..

5. In the musical adaptation, he has been played by Hikari Ono.
    Hikari jokingly commented that she was given “this completely unfeminine prince role”,[5] due to the fact that among cast members,
    [6] Hikari was known for playing male or androgynous roles.
    These include Hawk’s Eye, Kou Taiki, and Loof Merrow.[7]Crimson Rubeus
    (, Kurenai no Rubeusu) is a red haired human and the first member
    of the Black Moon Clan to appear in the 20th century.

360 lace wigs Turning my back on conventional cosmetic products
    began quite accidentally years ago when I was a
    dancer with hair extensions the Dutch National Ballet Company.
    After every performance we had to clean our faces of heavy theatrical make up, false eyelashes, wigs,
    glue, sweat and stage dust. Most of my colleagues used a large assortment of make up removing creams, gels,
    lotions and moisturizers, with masses of cotton wool and tissue
    paper.360 lace wigs

U Tip Extensions After. You choose all the files and folders inside the map and right click and add to
    archive. Chose zip in the file and keep the same name..
    GALLETAS DE CACAHUATE 1 taza de harina cucharita de sal 1 cucharita de polvo
    de hornear taza de azcar taza de azcar mascabado de taza de leche 1 cucharita de jugo de limn 1 huevo 2 Cucharadas de
    Aceite Vegetal 1 taza de cacahuates picados Se juntan los ingredientes
    secos, la harina, la sal, el polvo de hornear y las 2 azcares mezclando con un tenedor.
    En una taza se revuelve la leche, el jugo de limn, el
    huevo y el aceite. Se agregan los lquidos a los ingredientes secos y se
    integra la masa con un tenedor.U Tip Extensions

clip in extensions Last month, Priscilla Chan referred to that kind of
    shift during a Q with Sheryl Sandberg onstage at Fortune’s Most Powerful Women conference.
    Chan talked about how she and Zuckerberg worked together on the
    Primary School, their education initiative in East Palo Alto, California.
    Chan said that Zuckerberg helps keep her “laser focused” on their mission.clip in extensions

I Tip extensions We get them out and on to a plate and they just don look like fried pork chops.
    My husband takes a bite and makes a face. “Oh my god these are so good what did you do to them” I quickly took a bite.
    Unfortunately, it was doomed design wise and marketing
    wise. As I said, the design was very poorly explained.
    And it was released by a publisher whose name meant nothing to non grognards
    and who hadn done their research on Dallas fans and what they might want..I Tip extensions

hair extensions Basic day of coordination (which you usually work the month of or week of) start at 1000.
    These rates also depend on the city you’re in.ebonycynthia 6 points submitted 1 day agoOh Symode
    sigh. If I set aside my personal disdain then u/good_kuchikopi is right hair extensions..

6. Avatar Mireya says:

magnificent points altogether, you simply won a logo new reader.
    What could you suggest in regards to your put up that you simply made a few days in the past?
    Any certain?

7. Avatar Paulina says:

I read this post fully regarding the difference of most
    up-to-date and previous technologies, it’s amazing article.

8. Why bet365? Well. The lens barrel had become dislodged.

9. Avatar Edgardo says:

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a co-worker
    who had been doing a little homework on this.
    And he in fact ordered me dinner due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for
    him… lol. So allow me to reword this….
    Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending some time to discuss this subject here on your
    web site.

10. Hello, yeah this post is truly good and I have learned lot of things from it regarding
    blogging. thanks.

11. Avatar Srafall 4 says:

At this time it sounds like Expression Engine is the top blogging platform out there right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

12. teor deve ser útil para qualquer cidadão brasílio.

13. It’s difficult to find educated people about this subject,
    but you seem like you know what you’re talking about!
    Thanks

14. Avatar Mamie says:

It’s really a nice and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this
    helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this.
    Thank you for sharing.

15. It’s really very complex in this full of activity life to
    listen news on TV, therefore I only use world wide web for that reason, and get the most recent news.

16. I enjoy, cause I found just what I used to be having a look for.
    You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have
    a nice day. Bye

17. Hello colleagues, its great paragraph regarding cultureand entirely defined, keep it up all the time.

18. Great web site. Plenty of helpful info here. I am sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And naturally, thank you to your sweat!

19. Dies ist bekanntlich prima, Lieben Dank! Das hat mir gefallen und ist sehr aufschlussreich.
    Die Einfällefinde ich erklärlich. Selbige Eingebungen sind mir ebenso durchaus durch das
    Haupt gegangen. Denn ich erwäge, dass dies des Weiteren zum Vorteil von meinen Bücherwürmern ein wissenswertes Thema repräsentiert.

20. I have been expⅼoring for a little bit for
    any high quality articles or wеblog posts on this
    kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled
    upon this ѡebsite. Reading this info So i am
    gⅼad to exhibit that I have an incrediƅⅼy just right
    uncanny feeling I found out exactly whаt I neеded. I so much
    surely will makе sure to do not put out of your mind this website and giνe it ɑ look on a constant baѕis.

21. Hello, this weekend is nice in support of me,
    as this moment i am reading this great educational post here at my residence.

22. Serviços prestados por companhia consolidada.

23. Avatar Devin says:

This is really fascinating, You’re an overly skilled blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to searching for more of your wonderful post.
    Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks

1. Madeline Upson Madeline Upson says:

Glad you enjoyed it, Devin! Thanks for reading.

24. Avatar Daniel says:

It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before finish I am reading this enormous paragraph to
    increase my know-how.

25. Hi, every time i used to check webpage posts here early
    in the dawn, because i love to learn more and more.

26. I like reading through an article that will make people think.
    Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

27. Игорная индустрия динамично развивается.

28. Avatar sdpoint.ru says:

Выигрыш с фриспинов попадает на бонусный счет.

29. Fantastic post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more
    on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
    Bless you!

30. Die Passion von delikatem Tafeln teilen allerhand, in der Regel die
    Personen, die einen ausgezeichneten Sinn für Geschmack innehaben. Als Gourmet bezeichnet man einen Genießer oder Weinkenner.
    Die Benamsung Gourmand deklariert irgendeinen,
    der gern außerordentlich isst. In solcher Rubrik der
    Gastronomie wird allerhand angeboten, was man wirklich die ganze Zeit auf seiner Wunschliste notiert hatte.

Vom Edelfleisch bis zu den einzigartigsten Grillsaucen, vom Thunfisch aus der Nordsee bis zu Muscheln aus dem Ozean.

31. Thanks for every other informative website.
    The place else may I am getting that kind of information written in such an ideal
    means? I have a project that I’m just now working on, and I’ve
    been at the look out for such information.

32. When I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked
    the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a
    comment is added I receive 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    There has to be an easy method you can remove me from that
    service? Thanks a lot!

1. Avatar Erika Kubick says:

Hi there! Sorry about that! You should be able to unsubscribe in the emails you are getting. Check it out and let us know if you’re still having issues!

33. Der Artikel ist wirklich informativ. Das Thema hat mich schon lange interessiert und ich
    konnte hier noch einiges interessantes finden. Ich bin schon sehr gespannt, weitere News zu lesen. Danke und Grüße aus Heidelberg Marco Feindler

1. Avatar Erika Kubick says:

Vielen dank Marco! Tchüss!