Arugula and Escarole Salad with Sweet Feta and Green Onion Dressing
Try this feta dressing as a sauce for roasted veggies or even slathered on your favorite grilled meat. And as a sauce, it’s glorious paired with hot, sizzling frites.
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 cups crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon clover honey
- 1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted fennel seed, ground
- ½ cup queso fresco (available at Mexican markets)
- 2 bunches scallions, sliced in thin rounds (greens only)
- 1 head escarole, cleaned, leaves separated and torn into pieces
- 2 large handfuls arugula leaves, washed and dried
- In a medium sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat and add the ginger. Cook gently to sweat, about 5 minutes. Set aside. In a blender, combine the heated ginger and oil, rice vinegar, feta, molasses, honey, parsley, ground fennel, and queso fresco until combined. When mixture is smooth, drizzle the remaining 2 cups olive oil into the blender while the motor is running to emulsify all ingredients.
- Remove the mixture to a medium bowl and stir in the scallions to finish. (If the dressing seems too chunky, thin with a bit of cream.) Place the escarole and arugula in a large serving bowl and toss with some of the dressing, adding more as desired. Serve promptly.
culture: the word on cheese https://culturecheesemag.com/