Arugula and Roasted Sunchoke Salad
Roasted sunchokes add sophistication to this simple salad. Gently sweet, they’re nestled in a bed of spicy arugula and dressed with a lemony vinaigrette. Young Pecorino Toscano shaved over the top balances the bright flavors with a nutty richness.
- 1¼ pounds about 12 to 16 sunchokes (also called Jerusalem artichokes)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large bunch arugula about 5 cups lightly packed, washed, dried, and trimmed
- 20 shavings Pecorino Toscano
- ► Heat oven to 400ºF. Scrub sunchokes, pat dry, and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil, and spread out on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, then toss and roast again until golden and lightly crisped, another 10 to 15 minutes.
- ► Whisk together lemon juice and mustard in a small bowl. Whisk in remaining ¼ cup oil in a slow stream. Season with salt and pepper.
- ► Place arugula and sunchokes in a large bowl. Pour about ½ the dressing around the perimeter of the bowl and toss to coat. Add more dressing to taste. Divide evenly among 4
- plates, and top with cheese shavings. Serve immediately.