Autumn Cobb Salad with Flavored Gouda
This hearty composed salad makes a beautiful main dish for lunch. We've used semi-soft Gouda flavored with cumin seeds to add a subtle, earthy pice to the meal, but plain Gouda also works. Prepare the bacon and eggs hours ahead so that you can assemble the salad quickly just before serving. Adapted from a recipe by Jana Foods.
- 2 cups packed chopped salad greens (such as arugula and green leaf lettuce)
- ⅔ cup chopped apple preferably Pink Lady or Gala variety
- 6 strips bacon about 6 ounces, cooked and chopped
- 3 ounces Gouda with cumin seeds chopped
- ⅓ cup coarsely grated carrots
- 4 hard-boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- COBB SALAD: Divide salad greens into two portions, and arrange each portion on a plate, creating three columns of greens per plate (or a bed of greens, if you prefer, as shown in the photo). Between (or on top of) the greens on each plate, add columns of eggs, carrots, bacon, apples, Gouda, and onions.
- BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, and whisk vigorously to blend the mixture. (Alternately, you can put everything in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake until blended.) Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Serve each plate of salad with the dressing on the side.