Maplebrook Mozzarella & Avocado Grilled Cheese
Nothing beats the cozy, gooey, goodness of a traditional grilled-cheese sandwich. However, we guarantee that your old favorite will have some serious competition with this avocado grilled cheese version, which uses fresh Maplebrook mozzarella, a healthy helping of greens, and a punch of garlicky pizzazz. Tomato soup for sandwich dunking is always a welcome side-kick, but this sandwich will be the shining star, with or without the soup. Go ahead and try it... it might just become your new favorite for brunch, lunch, or dinner.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices of your favorite artisanal bread
- About 3 thin slices about 1/4 inch thick of Maplebrook fresh mozzarella, cut from a hand-wrapped ball
- Half an avocado sliced thinly
- A small handful of fresh baby spinach leaves approximately 6-8 leaves
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large garlic glove minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- FOR GARLIC MAYONNAISE SPREAD:
- Whisk the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, and oil in small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. (This can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
- FOR GRILLED CHEESE:
- Melt the butter in a skillet or griddle.
- Set the bread slices into the skillet or griddle to brown. Medium-low heat is ideal.
- Place the mozzarella cheese slices onto one of the bread slices so the cheese begins to melt.
- Remove the other slice of bread from the griddle or skillet, and set it on your work surface/cutting board. It should be golden-brown on one side. Spread a generous amount of the garlic mayonnaise on the bread. Layer the avocado slices and the spinach leaves on top.
- Place a pan lid over the cheesy slice that is still on the skillet or griddle. This will help to keep the warm air circulating around the cheese, and cause it to melt to perfection.
- Remove the cheesy slice from the griddle or skillet and place it on top of the other slice to form the sandwich, Return the whole sandwich back to the griddle or skillet for about an additional minute so everything can meld together and the bread can brown a bit more. Enjoy!
You may want to make extra Garlic Mayonnaise Spread, since the spread will keep in the fridge for several days. It's tasty on other sandwiches, and makes a real treat for dipping french fries or chicken tenders.